Indoor gardening results – grow lights without the cannibis

Well, the experiment was a COMPLETE success, at least as far as my resident critic is concerned.  Xander (my rabbit) loved all of the greens that it produced.  I, however, was disappointed in the absolute lack of any root bulb to the radishes.  I have some theories as to what may have gone wrong.

First off, I doubted the power of my seeds that I planted, as they were a few years old.  I assumed that they would only produce a few sprouts for all of the seeds I planted.  Nope…  They seemed to all sprout, so I ended up with wayyyyy too many plants for the space that I had.  And because I didn’t want to waste them, I tried to transplant some of them to a new bucket.  This caused two issues.  One, I think I disrupted the root system of the seedlings; and two, I was only planning for one bucket, so that left me with too little light for both buckets.

I will be trying this experiment again with fewer seeds and an acknowledgement to myself that I will be just thinning the seedlings and feeding them to Xander rather than trying to transplant them.   I am so ecstatic that I got green things that I guess it was a sort of a success – and one that I can improve upon next time.

I was prepping to go on a mini-vacation at the time of harvest, so I didn’t get a chance to take any pictures to post, but I will correct that next time.

One lesson that was learned was the magic of siphoning.  Like everyone, I have seen movie and TV characters creating a siphon to take gas out of a gas tank, but I had never really understood the mechanics of the process.  In setting up the system that I had for this first container garden, I have been playing around with the concept of getting an automatic watering system set up for it using a gravity fed system.  Once I figure this out a little more, I will certainly talk about it more extensively here.

I found many systems on the web from the very elaborate to the very simple and cheap.  Since I am still in heavy experiment mode, I opted for the cheap, thinking that the lessons learned could certainly apply to any larger or more complex system that I would try in the future.  What I ended up going with in my attempt was using narrow gauge tubing that is used in aquarium systems (picked up for about $1.50), and a valve that was also for aquarium setups.  I got it working, but I found that my vision of a dripping system would either not run or would provide too much water to my container o run continuously.

In this process, I realized how easy it was to start the water flowing up out of the bucket, and then down to the container… It is really wild to see water flow upwards.  Silly, I know, but it doesn’t take much to amuse me.  Hence – the lesson in siphoning.  I am nearly positive that I will use some type of commercially purchasable timer tool for the next setup I try, but I am more convinced than ever that I can put this to good use with the next “generation” of my garden system.

More to hear on this subject – so I guarantee more posts to come.

Joel

Categories: Gardening

Leave a Reply